How to file RTI Application for Assam?
The Right to Information Act, 2005 is applicable in all the states of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir. However, each state differs in terms of implementation of the Act and each state has different guidelines when it comes to filing an RTI application. In exercise of the powers conferred by section 27 of the Right to Information Act’2005, the Government of Assam hereby make the following rules under Assam Information Rules’2005. To enlighten yourself with the rules implemented by Bihar, you can readAssam Information Rules’2005.
If you wish to exercise your right to information, follow the steps mentioned below in order to successfully file an RTI application in Assam.
- Identify the Department to which you wish to address the RTI Application:
- Write your queries in the Application:
- Format to be followed to seek information under RTI Act’2005:
- Full Name of the Applicant
- Particulars of the information required (specify the category of subject also)
- Year to which the information pertains
- other relevant reference if any
- Admin Reforms & Training
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary
- Assam Accord
- Border Protection And Development
- Chief Electoral Officer
- CM's Secretariat
- Chief Secretary’s Office
- Co-Operation Department
- Cultural Affairs
- Elementary Education
- Excise Department
- Forest And Environment
- Food And Civil Supplies
- General Administration Department
- Guwahati Development Department
- Health & Family Welfare
- Higher Education Department
- Handloom Textiles & Sericulture
- Hill Areas Department
- Home & Political
- Horticulture Department
- Information Technology
- Information & Public Relations
- Industries & Commerce
- Judicial Department
- Labour & Employment
- Mines And Minerals Department
- Panchayat & Rural Development
- Parliamentary Affairs
- Pension & Public Grievances Department
- Transformation & Development Department
- Pollution Control Department
- Public Enterprises
- Public Health Engineering
- Public Works Building & Nh
- Public Works Roads
- Printing And Stationery Department
- Revenue & Disaster Mgmt.
- Science And Technology
- Secondary Education Department
- Secretariat Administration
- Social Welfare
- Soil Conservation
- Sports & Youth Welfare
- Tea Tribes
- Tourism Department
- Urban Development Department
- Water Resource
- Welfare Of Minorities Department
- Welfare of Plain Tribes & Backward Classes Department
- Whom should the RTI Application be addressed to?
- When will the response be provided to your RTI Application?
- Pay the Prescribed fee as per Assam RTI Rules:
- Submit the Application:
The first step to file an RTI Application is to identify the Department / Public Authority. Section 2 (h) of the RTI Act lays down the definition of Public Authorities that come under the ambit of the Act. For eg, all civic issues like water problem, garbage, street lights, building permission in cities are under respective Corporation. In case the matters pertain to Guwahati Municipal Corporation which is a Public Authority, you should address the same to the Corporation. Likewise, if the matter pertains to the Secondary Education Board of Assam (SEBA), Assam, you should address the same to the concerned State Public Information Officer (SPIO)/ Assistant State Public Information Officer (ASPIO) of the Department.
You should address your queries in the Application in simple language, you can write the application in English or Assamese Language. It is important to note that “Wh” questions are not entertained in RTI. For eg, you wish to know the Status of your Water Connection Application from Guwahati Municipal Corporation, you can frame the question as “Please provide information pertaining to the Status of the Water Connection” or “Please provide Reasons as per Record for Delay in issuing the Connection” instead of asking “Why is the Water connection not issued”. Also you cannot ask Situation Based questions / clarifications involving “If” in the application.
You can draft the RTI Application in the following format to seek information under RTI Act’2005:
To State Public Information Officer,
(Name of the Office and Institution with complete address)
Date & Signature of the Applicant
Departments under Assam Government:
All Assam State Government Departments and local governing bodies in Assam like Municipal Corporations (Guwahati Municipal Corporation, Jorahat Municipal Board, Municipal Board Silchar), Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, Health & Family Welfare Department Govt. of Assam, Assam Gas Company Ltd, Assam Public Service Commission, Assam Medical College, Director of Secondary Education, Assam, Assam Public Health Engineering Department, Gauhati University, Directorate of Technical Education: Assam, Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority, State Pollution Control Board, Assam, Assam State Transport Corporation etc.
List of State Government Departments are as follows:
Under the RTI Act, 2005 every department should appoint a Public Information Officer (PIO) who is responsible to receive and Response to RTI applications filed to that department. Hence, all the RTI applications should be addressed to the Public Information Officer of that Department.
According to the RTI Act, the response to the RTI application in Assam, or any other state should be provided by the PIO within 30 days from the receipt of the same. This includes applications made online or offline. If the information requested in the RTI relates to another department, then the PIO is mandated to transfer the same within 5 days from the receipt of the RTI to that Department who has the information. A First Appeal can be filed to the First Appellate Authority (FAA) if there is no response from the government office after completion of 30 days or if the Applicant is not satisfied with the response of RTI Application. In case you are not satisfied with the outcome of the First Appeal, or there has been no order passed by FAA, a Second Appeal can be filed to Assam Information Commission.
The application for obtaining information under Sub-Section (1) of Section 6 of RTI Act, 2005, must be accompanied by the prescribed application fee. At present the application fee, which is subject to change from time to time, is as under -
Application Fee: Rs.10/-
Mode of Payment: By cash against proper receipt or by demand draft/banker's cheque/Indian postal order.
Once the application is drafted as per the Steps mentioned above, you should send your application via speed post or registered post to the concerned Department.
To file an RTI Application on OnlineRTI, follow the steps below:
page and write your question in simple English.
To know more about the procedure to file RTI on OnlineRTI, please visitOnlineRTI.com
How to file RTI to get Answer Sheet ?
How to file RTI to get Marksheets Verified ?
1. How to file RTI for Andhra Pradesh ?
2. How to file RTI for Bihar ?
3. How to file RTI for Central Govt ?
4. How to file RTI for Delhi ?
5. How to file RTI for Goa ?
6. How to file RTI for Haryana ?
7. How to file RTI for Karnataka ?
8. How to file RTI for Madhya Pradesh ?
9. How to file RTI for Maharashtra ?
10. How to file RTI for Odisha ?
11. How to file RTI for Punjab ?
12. How to file RTI for Rajasthan ?
13. How to file RTI for TamilNadu ?
14. How to file RTI for Uttar Pradesh ?
15. How to file RTI for West Bengal ?
16. How to file RTI for Meghalaya?
17. How to file RTI for Assam ?
18. How to file RTI for Kerala ?
19. How to file RTI for Telangana ?
20. How to file RTI for Uttarakhand ?
21. How to file RTI for Sikkim ?
22. How to file RTI for Jharkhand ?
23. How to file RTI for Chhattisgarh ?