How to file RTI Application for Kerala:
The Right to Information Act, 2005 is applicable to all States of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir. However, each State differs in terms of implementation of the Act and each state has different guidelines when it comes to filing RTI application. Kerala RTI Rules have been made by the Governor in accordance to the provisions of sub section(1) read with sub- section (2) of Section 27 of the Right to Information Act, 2005. It comes into effect from the 10th of March,2006. To enlighten yourself with the rules implemented byKerala, you can readKerala RTI Rules’2006.
If you wish to exercise your Right to Information, follow the steps mentioned below in order to successfully file a RTI Application in Kerala.
- Identify the Department to which you wish to file the RTI Application:
- Agriculture Development & Farmers' Welfare
- Backward Communities Development Department
- Coastal Shipping & Inland Navigation
- Consumer Affairs
- Culture Affairs
- Food and Civil Supplies
- General Administration
- Forest and WildLife
- General Education
- Health & Family Welfare
- Higher Education
- Information and Public Relations
- Industries and Commerce
- Electronics & Information Technology
- Labour & Skills
- Local Self-Government
- Non-Resident Keralites Affairs
- Parliamentary Affairs
- Planning and Economic Affairs
- Personnel & Administrative Reforms
- Public Works
- Scheduled Tribe Development
- Scheduled Castes Development
- Science, Technology and Environment
- Social Justice
- Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs
- Stores Purchase
- Water Resources
- Write your queries in the Application:
- Format to be followed to seek information under RTI Act’2005:
- Full Name of the Applicant
- Particulars of the information required (specify the category of subject also)
- Year to which the information pertains
- other relevant reference if any
- Whom should the RTI Application be addressed to?
- When will the response be provided to your RTI Application?
- Pay the Prescribed fee as per Kerala RTI Rules:
- Submit the Application:
The first step to file an RTI Application is to identify the Department / Public Authority. Section 2 (h) of the RTI Act lays down the definition of Public Authorities that come under the ambit of the Act. For eg, all civic issues like water problem, garbage, street lights, building permission in cities are under respective Corporation. In case the matters pertain to Kochi Municipal Corporation which is a Public Authority, you should address the same to the Corporation. Likewise, if the matter pertains to the Department of General and Higher Education, Kerala, you should address the same to the concerned State Public Information Officer (SPIO)/ Assistant State Public Information Officer (ASPIO) of the Department. Following are the list of Government Departments to which RTI is applicable.
Departments under Kerala Government
All Kerala State Government Departments and local governing bodies in Kerala like Municipal Corporations (Kochi Municipal Corporation, Thiruvananthapuram Municipal Corporation, Kozhikode Municipal Corporation, Thrissur Municipal Corporation) Kerala Real Estate Regulatory Authority, Directorate of Technical Education, Kerala, Kerala University of Health Sciences, Kerala Public Service Commission, Kerala Coastal Zone Management Authority, University of Kerala, Kerala Institute of Entrepreneurship Development, Kerala Civil Supplies Corporation, Kerala state financial corporation, Thiruvananthapuram Development Authority, Greater Cochin Development Authority, Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd, Kerala State Coastal Area Development Corporation Limited (KSCADC), Kerala Water Authority, Kerala State Housing Board etc.
List of State Government Departments are as follows:
You should address your queries in the Application in simple language, you can write the application in English or Malyalam Language. It is important to note that “Wh” questions are not entertained in RTI. For eg, you wish to know the Status of your Water Connection Application from Kochi Municipal Corporation, you can frame the question as “Please provide information pertaining to the Status of the Water Connection” or “Please provide Reasons as per Record for Delay in issuing the Connection” instead of asking “Why is the Water connection not issued”. Also you cannot ask Situation Based questions / clarifications involving “If” in the application.
As per Rules’2006, Application should be submitted in the following format to seek information under RTI Act’2005:
To State Public Information Officer,
(Name of the Office and Institution with complete address)
Date Signature of the Applicant
Under the RTI Act, 2005 every department should appoint a Public Information Officer (PIO) who is responsible to receive and reply to RTI applications filed to that department. Hence, all the RTI applications should be addressed to the Public Information Officer of that Department.
According to the RTI Act, the response to the RTI application in Kerala, or any other state should be provided by the PIO within 30 days from the receipt of the same. This includes applications made online or offline. If the information requested in the RTI relates to another department, then the PIO is mandated to transfer the same within 5 days from the receipt of the RTI to that department who has the information. A First Appeal can be filed to the First Appellate Authority (FAA) if there is no response from the government office after completion of 30 days or if the Applicant is not satisfied with the response of RTI Application.
In case you are not satisfied with the outcome of the First Appeal, or there has been no order passed by FAA, A Second Appeal can be filed to Kerala Information Commission.
Govt. of Kerala have prescribed the Kerala Right to Information (Regulation of Fee and Cost) Rules, 2006. The application fee is Rs.10/- Court Fee/Demand Draft/Banker's Cheque/Pay Order to the State Public Information Officer/State Assistant Public Information Officer.
Once the application is drafted as per the Steps mentioned above, you should send your application via speed post or registered post to the concerned Department.
To file an RTI Application on OnlineRTI, follow the steps below:
page and write your question in simple English.
- Proceed with the Payment to complete your application.
- Our Team of RTI experts and lawyers will draft your application and we will send it to you for your approval. After your approval, we will post and send your application to the concerned Public Authority / Department.
To know more about the procedure to file RTI on OnlineRTI, please visitOnlineRTI.com
How to file RTI to get Answer Sheet ?
How to file RTI to get Marksheets Verified ?
1. How to file RTI for Andhra Pradesh ?
2. How to file RTI for Bihar ?
3. How to file RTI for Central Govt ?
4. How to file RTI for Delhi ?
5. How to file RTI for Goa ?
6. How to file RTI for Haryana ?
7. How to file RTI for Karnataka ?
8. How to file RTI for Madhya Pradesh ?
9. How to file RTI for Maharashtra ?
10. How to file RTI for Odisha ?
11. How to file RTI for Punjab ?
12. How to file RTI for Rajasthan ?
13. How to file RTI for TamilNadu ?
14. How to file RTI for Uttar Pradesh ?
15. How to file RTI for West Bengal ?
16. How to file RTI for Meghalaya?
17. How to file RTI for Assam ?
18. How to file RTI for Kerala ?
19. How to file RTI for Telangana ?
20. How to file RTI for Uttarakhand ?
21. How to file RTI for Sikkim ?
22. How to file RTI for Jharkhand ?
23. How to file RTI for Chhattisgarh ?